Monday, February 7, 2011

Movie Magic: Talon Fighter WIP (work in progress)

I volunteered my services to help my friend Martin finish the Star Wars films he's been working on for years, Hunt For The Holochron. He's made incredible progress on it, and really just has a few effects shots left to wrap the whole project up.

In addition to doing some basic animated display screens for him to drop into the background of a few scenes, I told him I'd try to tackle some of the ships so we could shoot the space scenes with practical effects.

The wings were built from scratch by Incom, a great customizer I know from over at yakface.com. These work in progress shots don't do them justice, and they'll really look wonderful once the whole ship is painted. I've been trying to figure out how to attach them to the body, and finally inspiration hit. Like many of life's problems, the answer was LEGO.

While it would be nice for them to retain their mobility, it's really not needed for the shots we'll be trying to get with the ship, and forgoing it will all the wings to be more symmetrical and sturdy.



There's plenty more to do, but I was finally to place where I felt like it was really starting to look like something... and not just the base ship it's made from!

2 comments: